Internet Authoring

Friday, November 19, 2010

Visual Communication-- Assignment Type

Typography is something; I am doing for the first time. When I started working on Photoshop, everything was new to me. I started practising with some silly typography images but the assignment is more than that silliness. It requires more time and concentration. The assignment is about creating four typography images in different patterns. So, for all images I used the transparent background layout. Each image is having dimension of 800×600 pixels and RGB colour mode at 72 ppi. I set black as a foreground colour for every image. I used 7th version of Photoshop for my typography images.

Fast Type Image:
 In my first typography image, I described the word ‘Fast’. When the phrase fast comes in our mind we think of or we relate it to words like quick, rapid, speed and many more. Therefore, I wanted to make such a typography image which itself describes the word fast like an image in a speedy mode. So, I made a streaked image for fast which shows speedy motion. The way I started making my image is by adding layers and using the blending options. I tried different new styles but I was not able to get an eye catching image. I used advanced blending to fill opacity and also used blend clipped layers as Group and Transparency Shapes layer. Then I tried pattern overlay and set up scale to 39%. After that, I added another layer and use Bavel and Emboss effect with Gradient overlay. As given in the assignment, I added a black strip at the bottom of the image of 25 pixels high. Following that, I added a white text strip and set at Arial at 18px in the bottom right hand corner.

Slow Type Image:
 For my second image, I described the type ‘Slow’. The first idea came to my mind to create something that looks like snail or a tortoise but I dropped that idea because I can’t use photos as I was working on typography. In this type of image I wanted to create a smoky or cloudy environment which gives a feeling of slowness. So, I chose a background having clouds indicating slow behaviour.This time I chose different blending options like inner shadow, outer glow, and satin which help in creating the look I wanted. I used all the three channels red, green and brown in my advanced blending. In next layers, I reduced the opacity to see how it looks like.

Tough Type Image:

As I started working on my next ‘Tough’ type of image, I wanted to use stuff like bricks, rope, wires which gives a sense of strong and secure feeling. So, I decided to use wires for my image to give a sturdy type of look. I used combination of red and blue as a background as a red is attractive eye catchy colour
and blue gives a feeling of strongest sometime friendly and sometimes shows steadfast behaviour. Altogether the mixture of both gives a strong contrast. I applied pattern overlay to give a wiry look. I was increasing or decreasing the percentage of opacity in different layers to give a better look. To make it look more aggressive, I added dark pinkish colour. Then I added the black strip and put my student number and type I am working on.

Weak Type Image:

 The last type to work on was weak image that was totally opposite to rest of three images. In this image, I have to create an image which look a bit fragile, delicate, pathetic etc. I used this type of font to shows lackness in physical strength and firmness. I used the reflective surfaces to create nonfigurative images. I feel that the images using reflections have a more creative appeal. For the background colour, I set opacity to 15% and choose screen and linear light as blend modes in different layers style.

Conclusion:

First of all I enjoyed whatever I did. I came across new things like how to use blending options, what percentage of opacity looks good to your image, how to use different layer styles, how to use different shades, colours. As I told earlier Typography was a new thing for me and I started with basics. Whatever thoughts came to my mind during making, I tried to put them in my different type of images. I tried to give that feeling, that liveliness to my images which I felt during the making. I gave my best to give my thoughts to these images. There were confusing moments but it was interesting as each time I was learning more about
typography. It was a nice experience working with typography.






No comments:

Post a Comment